Sunday, July 1, 2012

Wedded Bliss

I love weddings.  I especially love weddings of people whom I love!  This weekend was especially fantastic as Ben and Joey were asked to be the ring bearers in the wedding of our dear friends, Jarin and Adam.  It has been a joy watching these two grow in their friendship, fall in love and make the choice to spend the rest of their lives together.

I love weddings because I can't help but be reminded of the day I said "I do" to Dean.  What a wonderful day filled with butterflies, storm clouds (literally, no metaphorical clouds on that day!), mishaps (Dean clogged a toilet at the church and I thought I was going to pass out right before walking down the aisle) and lots and lots of love. 

On Saturday morning I woke up early and took Emerson for a walk.  We walked by Adam's house, where I knew he was inside sleeping, and I thought about him and especially thought about his mom and what emotions she must be going through that day.  I, too, will be the mother of the groom some day and I feel especially warm and fuzzy toward women playing this role already. Adam has an older brother so his mom, Debby, and I shared lots of talks this weekend and in the weeks leading up about what a blessing and adventure it is to mother two boys.  I think my eyes welled up with tears everytime I looked at her this weekend and I know hers did when looking at my boys.  She grabbed my arm on Saturday after the ceremony and with glistening eyes told me to enjoy every minute because it just "goes too fast." 

After walking by Adam's house, we walked by Jarin's house.  All was quiet and still there as well and I offered up a prayer that she would wake up happy and peaceful and ready to enjoy her big day.  I then did something I love to do.  As Emmy and I made our way home, I said a prayer for my future daughters-in-law.  I prayed that wherever they were they were loved, respected, cared for and that they were adventurous, confident, sweet and kind young girls.  I can't wait to meet them someday.
Joey, Flower Girl, Ashton, and I at the rehearsal

Ashton and Benny practicing for their walk/ride down the aisle

Of all the weddings we have attended together over the past 13 years, Jarin and Adam's most reminded me of our own.  The main reason was because both the bride and groom as well as every guest in attendance just had FUN all weekend long.  I never saw Jarin without a huge, goofy grin plastered on her face and the usually private and rather stoic groom had an equally big smile on his face and was filled with pride for his new bride.  Their enthusiasm was contagious and spilled over to the guests. Both Friday night and Saturday night were filled with laughter and tears of joy.  It was all about love and I couldn't help but feel even more in love with my handsome  husband as we joined the ranks of the old, veteren married couples and watched the newly wed couple as they made their way across the dance floor, laughing, kissing, and loving the night away.
Jarin, Joe, Benny and Pepper!

Ring Security!

First ones to take a picture with the bride!

Now back to those ring bearers of mine.  They did fantastic.  My heart swelled with pride at how well behaved they were and how handsome they looked.  Friday's rehearsal went off without a hitch but Saturday I was a bit worried as Joey was being a bit of a monster all day.  When we put the tuxes on the boys, Joey burst into tears because his shoes "didn't feel good" and Benny kept staring at himself in the mirror and asking "Do I look as good as I think I do?"  Oh boy, I thought, this is going to be a long night.
The boys adore Adam and were so proud to stand up with him!

Minutes before the ceremony

uh oh

All smiles!

I'm not going to lie, we bribed the boys to behave well.  Each was offered $10 if they were "good ring bearers," which meant actually walking down the aisle with a smile on their face and being polite and friendly to guests throughout the evening.  On the way down to the wedding, however, I heard Ben advising Joey in the backseat.  "Don't do it for the money, Joe, do it because Adam and Jarin love us and it is an honor to be in their wedding."  Good grief.



The boys definitely earned their $10.  They were all smiles, polite as could be and really loved being ring bearers.  I was a proud momma indeed!


Future mother-in-law? Macy's mom and my little monkey


Craig and Abby rescued us all by picking the boys up and taking them back to their house for some dinner and night swimming as well as an eagerly anticipated sleepover.  Dean and I enjoyed the rest of the evening just the two of us with a few hundred friends.  It was a fantastic night. 

The newly engaged couple!

No comments: